Saturday, June 26, 2010

It's Been A Long Time Coming

Over the past few days life has been great. The USA beat Algeria by a last minute goal by Landon Donovan to advance in the World Cup, I also got a hold of the new iPhone after waiting 12 hours.

The most memorable event all started on Tuesday evening when I received a phone call from Jay Wright. Jay was someone I worked with on my mission over 2 years ago. My companion and I were the first missionaries to teach him the Gospel of Jesus Christ and within our first visit I knew he'd one day be baptized. He showed the up most humility and desire to learn more about the Savior and his teachings. His level of commitment to obeying God's commandments was higher than anyone I ever taught on my mission. I remember one night we had gone over to teach him and were talking about his earrings, I asked if he would take them out and without hesitation he did. He went onto say he had been wearing earrings since the 4th grade, over 20 years! That was just one of the many times Jay shocked me with his strict obedience. Jay had made poor decisions earlier on his life with getting involved with drugs and even dealing them, and as a result he has been on parole for the past few years. Being on parole prevented him from being baptized and that was so frustrating for me to see while I served as a missionary.
When he called me Tuesday evening he told me he was being baptized tomorrow. I was speechless for one that he was being baptized and two on such short notice. I had prayed and fasted for this news so many times over the past two years and now it was finally coming to pass. He went onto say that they received the letter from the First Presidency on Monday giving him permission to be baptized. I told him I wouldn't miss his baptism for anything. Wednesday came and off I went to Boise. After 5 hours of driving, I showed up to the church house next door to the temple. As I looked at the temple the thoughts of Jay going to the temple to be sealed with his family flooded my mind. I remembered going through the Twin Falls Temple with them and being in the sealing room with just Jay and his wife. We went to the mirrors and I pointed out to them that their reflection went on for eternity, just like the sealing ordinance. I think it was at that moment Jay wanted nothing more than to be sealed to his wife and kids.

As I walked into the church I made it into the room where his baptism was being held and saw Jay. He jumped out of his chair and ran over to me, embraced me and sobbed. I can't describe the joy and happiness I felt for Jay at that moment. This is what Jay had desired so badly for the past two years and now he could finally be baptized. The service for the baptism was powerful, as talks were given and songs were sung. Jay was baptized and then received the gift of the Holy Ghost.  I was overcome with the spirit the whole meeting, Section 18 of the Doctrine and Covenants continually pressed my mind of how great of joy I was experience because of Jay repenting.
I can't be prouder or happier for Jay. He has spent the last two years waiting patiently to be baptized and he lived the gospel the best he could. He showed what it really means to endure and to press on even when times seem hopeless. I'm grateful for his example, it inspires me everyday to keep pushing or as Elder Holland taught "to kick when you don't want to kick". The Lord does bless us and tests our ability to exercise patiences. By realizing all the blessings he will have in store for us one day will make it much easier to do what he asks of us now. That is why we have to seek his will and not our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment